Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Tea Ceremony and Kimono! Sun. Jan 27th

Although I'm a little exhausted from today, I have time to post, so I thought I would put up some photos before I forget or don't have time to do it!
I attended my first tea ceremony as a guest! Although it was still kind of like a class, I was able to see the full tea ceremony and how it is performed. First, we had a lunch with o-bento and it was very delicious and beautiful! There were many different colors with vegetables, rice, and a shrimp, as well as soup and delicious sake! It was the best sake I've ever tasted. Then, we went into the other section of the room (since we were still in the practice room, not the real tea room) and were served wagashi, very delicious Japanese confectioneries made especially for the tea ceremony. This type is called Manju, it is a steamed bun filled with red bean (http://www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/wagashi/types.html), but I could tell they were of a much higher grade than what I've had before. It looked almost like a larger  donut-hole, only harder, and it was of a light-brown color with a brownish-white type of glaze on the top. It was very beautiful and extremely tasty! Next, we were served  koicha, dark green tea with no foam on top. It was very beautiful and the flavor was amazing. Koicha is the highest form of matcha, a green tea, but not like green tea. Apparently, it comes from the very top leaves of the tea plants, making it the most prized kind of tea, and therefore very special. Because of this, there is a very elaborate way of preparing and serving the tea. I watched the students perform the ceremony, with help of course, because they were still learning, and learned how to be a guest at a tea ceremony! My boss was nice to help explain some things to me in English, but mostly I could learn just by observing. There are so many things to remember! Even after watching 3 or 4 people do it, I still forgot some things! I couldn't take pictures during the ceremony,  of course, so that's why I'm trying my best to describe it.
After the Koicha, we were served more sweets. There were two kinds this time, one type is the Monaka, adzuki bean between two wafers made of sticky rice (http://www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/wagashi/types.html). It was a really pretty "cookie" wafer with a drawing of a shrine gate on the top right corner, and at the bottom, another bluish design. Inside, the filling was blue. It looked a lot like this one:

It tasted really great, maybe it had white bean inside dyed a fair-blue color? I think maybe that's what it was, but the taste was exquisite! Also accompanying it was a baby pink, hard candy called a Higashi, or dried sweets (http://www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/wagashi/types.html). It was almost in the shape of what I'd call a long tombstone or talisman or something. On it, there was kanji, but I don't know what it said. It was very hard, but melted in the mouth. If you ever tried Fun Dip, it was like the white stick in texture, but much softer and it melted more easily once in your mouth. It also tasted much more refined and a lot sweeter. It was so good (oishi)! Then, we had another tea, which was the lesser tea but much sweeter than koicha. I forget the name of this tea, but it's the kind that I learned how to make. Next, students learned various things, such as presenting the chawan (large tea  cups for the tea ceremony, almost like bowls) to the guests. I learned how to take away the chawan and bring it to the kitchen since I'm a beginner ^^;  Another lady was also a beginner, so it was comforting! She struggled with the seiza position as well, and actually seemed to be having more trouble than me! We had time to stretch after the koicha, and I could see the look of pain on her face as she tried to stand up! I made sure she understood I reciprocated her pain! It took me a while to feel my feet again, but by that time we had to sit down again . . . I think the worst part for me is not only the numbness in my feet, but also the pain in the bridge of my feet. This time, since we were sitting for so long (maybe an hour? there aren't any clocks in a tea room!) my legs actually starting hurting, as if I'd run a mile! Unlike last time, I was able to walk immediately without tripping, which saved me any embarrassment, especially in a kimono!! OK, enough words, here are some pictures of my kimono! My boss also let me borrow her kimono coat and shawl, for which I was very grateful for since it was snowing today!!

Thanks to Masayo-san for her help putting this kimono together! I literally didn't do a thing!!


 This kimono was given to my by my friend, Yuka-san, and the undergarments were given to me by my boss. I only had to buy a few things! Masayo-san gave me the obi as well! I think I only had to buy some kimono strings, the tabi, and zori (socks and shoes)! I love having people so willing to help me out, I needed it! I think altogether it would have cost me over $1,000! I am very grateful . . .



 Putting on the coat!








although this shot cut off part of my head, at least you can kind of see my shoes!



Here is the invitation we received as guests of the tea ceremony! I have no idea what it says, I only know that it shows the menu of what was served and kind of a schedule of what would be happening.


Until next time, ja ne!

2 comments:

  1. I have a question bc thinking of teaching in Japan, how cold does it get (I'm such a chicken when it comes to cold..I was raised in the tropics and after living in Germany shoveling, I just couldn't do it anymore) but Japan is my ultimate teaching choice. Also, what should you pack and not pack? And what is considered normal dress for work and play? These are simple questions but I never saw anything mentioned about these topics and even though they should be common sense, I would like to know from someone who lives there already. Thank you. Oh, and if you do think of Japan, what is the cheapest time for airfare from the states and how fast can you get an apartment once you get there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to send you a PM because it's a lot of information, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that . . . are you on facebook or something?
    In short, Fukuoka hardly snows, at least when it snows, it doesn't stick at all, so you'd be fine probably anywhere on the Kyushu island. I doubt it'd be anything like Germany anywhere in Japan except maybe Hokkaido. Also, one thing you definitely need to bring is deodorant, because they only have the spray-on kind here. Apparently Japanese people don't sweat . . . As for airfare, anytime that isn't a holiday! Maybe October, because it seemed a little cheaper, but I think it's hit-or-miss. I got my apartment through my job so I didn't have to worry about that. Anyway, if you want to learn more, please let me know how to send you a PM.

    ReplyDelete