Search This Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2013

あめりか へ いきました (I went to America)

As you might see from my title, I'm finally learning some Japanese! I started to take a class on Thursdays for two hours. Since I don't know how to say "My trip to America" I decided just to put that . . . anyway I had a great time seeing my family in South Carolina for a week, although it always seems too short. I'm sorry it's been so long, I haven't been very good at keeping up this blog! I think I have too many hobbies . . . every week I try and go running, study Japanese, clean my house, study the tea ceremony, and write or draw, and prepare my lessons for work, so after that I usually am either exhausted or have no more time! (And of course I have to watch TV or movies on my computer every day, too ^.-)  Anyway, thank you all for reading, it is really appreciated! So here's an update from my trip to America:

My brother and I ordered some awesome pizza with the works!

Here's Timmy and Sammy! :P

Blake and I had an amazing breakfast at Paige's Okra Grill! She had pancakes, grits, eggs, and bacon! She couldn't finish it but I definitely didn't mind helping her!

I had a fried chicken, egg and cheese biscuit with gravy!


Blake's barista specialty drink! I didn't get a chance to try it, although I really wanted to! We were in a hurry to meet my mom at the mall.


I really missed Smithwicks . . . smooth, creamy and hoppy


He looks like a pro loading that gun!

Tim hated those glasses but I think it's his expression that makes this picture!

Look at all that smoke . . . I really love that gun! It's from the Civil War era I believe, and my dad had to manually put the powder into the bullets!


This was an AK-47 that I was too afraid to shoot. It looked like it had a lot of backfire and it was deafening even with ear protection.


This was a gun from another member of the group. He just let us shoot it. 








sorry, I guess blogger couldn't read the file correctly and it stretched it out or something. Anyway, I really love this gun! It hardly had any backfire and it was just so much fun to shoot! look at all that smoke!




Meanwhile, Blake and mum were working hard at lunch!


delicious pineapple!
Blake made these sliders, which are tiny burgers. The meat was so thick, I think she stuffed it with all kinds of good stuff!

These are pigs-in-a-blanket that Blake handmade! They were my favorite . . . she also made grilled cheese which I failed to take a picture of for some reason.



bonding time with Daddy and Sammy


my mum's famous and delicious vegetable dip! I need this recipe, mum!


"When your work is done . . ."

"You'll want one." This tasted like pomegranate!   I thought it was really good, but I like lager.


mumzy commanding the dogs with biscuits!


Having a great "last meal" on my last night in town. I missed American pasta so I requested Red Lobster! Tim and Dad paid, although I wanted to pay.

Mum and Dad. I think we must take after each other, considering we both always seem to have a camera on us!



Good choice, Blakey!


Mum's staple: fish 'n chips!

why all the fried food, Tim? I think he was just waiting for a stomach upset. It was tasty though.


Dad, of course, chose the most healthy option: cobb salad. It looked good though!

Last toast of champagne before bed! 

I hope you enjoyed, that's all for now! I hope to update more regularly . . . I tend to let it build up then I have a million things to post! I will try and not wait so long. Thanks again for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Do you get to eat much American food in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in Tokyo, there's more international food than here. There's a Costco, but you have to have a car to get there! Otherwise, they have a few things, but they don't have simple "necessities" like hamburger or hot dog buns, haha Also, they don't seem to have "real" sausage. Cheese is also hard to come by, as they only sell one kind in my local grocery store. It's sad, but yes I do miss American food, as much as I love Japanese food!

      Delete
  2. Dear Rachel,

    You don't know me. My name's Michael. I'm from England and I'm an English teacher living and working in Tokyo.
    But I found an interview with you about teaching in Fukuoka.
    I hope you don't mind me trying to contact you this way.

    Can I ask you some questions?
    Forgive me for being so bold! It's just that I'm a bit desperate.
    My girlfriend lives in Kyushu, so I really want to move to Fukuoka, and I asked the company I work for (Shane English School) if they could transfer me to a branch in Fukuoka, and they said they would if they could but they don't have any vacacies.

    Don't mean to bore you -
    It just seems like you're doing so well and so happy, I was wondering if the school you work for might have any vacancies, or if it's ok you might give me their contact details, if it's ok to ask for that?

    Again - I'm shocked I'm being so brazen and asking a stranger for help - but I'm just honestly depserate for a chance to move to Fukuoka.
    Please forgive me!

    Best wishes from a stranger :)

    Sincerely,

    Michael Langton

    michael.langton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry but we don't have any more vacancies either. Unfortunately, most schools hire around April, as I'm sure you know. There's a website called Fukuoka Now where you can look for jobs in this area. There might be something. Sorry I'm not able to help you, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Thank you very much for your reply, and the tip!
    It's kind of you (sorry for bothering you on your blog!).

    Best wishes!

    Kind regards,

    Michael

    ReplyDelete