Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving! Instructions: how to make Thanksgiving dinner in Japan

I'm all better now, finally! I made Thanksgiving dinner last Thursday, although it was a little modified since they didn't have any turkey or any kind of broth, so I winged it and was surprised at the results! I actually got Thanksgiving day off since I have off on Thursdays, and Friday was a holiday, their Labor Day, so I got 2 days off in a row! It was nice.


the buggest piece of celery I've ever seen, it was the size of my arm from shoulder to fingertip!

Mashed potatoes
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

You must have wine with steak!

My version of brothless, flourless gravy

My version of  brothless, butterless and mostly everything else-less stuffing. It didn't taste like American stuffing, but I thought it was good.

How you like cooka youa steak?! (Peelander-Z)



Mashed potatoes and gravy!


If anyone wants my recipes or is at least remotely curious how I made these in Japan, here it is :P

Mashed potatoes:
boiled potatoes (obviously), water, and grapeseed oil

Gravy:
chopped onions, garlic, onion consomme for the thickening effect, a little steak juice once it finished cooking, grapeseed oil, and some demi-glace (I thought it was strange they sold that and no broth or anything else!).

Stuffing:
three slices of bread toasted in my fish grill, then cut into cubes,  half of the giant celery, onion consomme, half a can of clam chowder, 2 eggs, chopped onions and garlic,  grapeseed oil, and random spices I had (oregano, basil, and some red spice mix I found).

Steak instead of turkey, that's American, right? ;)

I hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving and enjoyed my instructions on how to make Thanksgiving dinner in Japan! Of course, if you have a car or a friend who is free, you could always take the long trip to Costco and have a real Thanksgiving dinner, but what's the fun in that!

No comments:

Post a Comment