Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How to tie an obi and the rest of my week

Last Thursday, my friend Masayo came over and showed me how to tie an obi! She showed me on the yukata (summer kimono) first because it's easier since the material is thinner and the obi is also thinner and smaller. In addition to the free lesson, she also brought cream puffs, because it's customary to bring a gift when you come to someone's house! Of course, I also bought her a (late) birthday present  which I'll give to her today when I go to Yuka's takoyaki party! Takoyaki are octopus balls, fried I think, so we are going to make them together! I think you have to have special equipment so I don't think this is something I could make at home, but it's still fun.


She did the more difficult bow but taught me the easier one. Hopefully next time she can show me the one that she has, I like it much better!




 Cream puffs!! ^_^


On Sunday, I was able to meet my friend Yurika again! I hadn't seen her for a very long time and have actually only met her twice! It was really fun and we had giant crepes! 



Mine had pear, chocolate, vanilla ice cream, whip cream, and I think almonds


Yurika's had chestnut cream, vanilla ice cream, and chestnut spread, I think. I can't remember exactly

This is Yurika! :P


yumm!! And we had some very fragrant tea, too! It was wonderful ^_^



The rest of my week was ok, besides my boss getting mad at things that weren't my fault. Now I know why the other teachers didn't like her. She wants me to teach a student TOEFL, but of course I know nothing about it. In America, you have to take a training course if you're going to teach the ACT or SAT, but obviously I've had no training so I don't know why she got frustrated at me for reading the book with my student. I thought that's what she told me to do, but her English isn't so good so apparently it was a misunderstanding. She wanted me to study the book, or at least the section I was going to teach, in less than a half hour then she expected me to be able to teach her about it . . . I can't study 40 pages in less than an hour and know how to teach it. I'm really frustrated right now and not sure what to do. I've looked up tips etc, but she doesn't let me take the book home to study it, so that makes it really difficult. If that's what she wants me to do, I hope she's allotted me hours every week to prepare for this one class amongst the other classes I have to prepare for, clippings, and proofreading, which is what we do on our "down time" or non-teaching time. I really don't see what she wants from me. I guess people were right, you really can't get on her good side. . . .

2 comments:

  1. THAT'S SO COOL! Whoa, it's been way too lonog since I've checked out your blog! >_< I'm so glad you're having this much fun!I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks!! And what's more, one of my friends gave me her mother's old kimono so once I try that on, I will show you! ^_^

      Delete