Search This Blog

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Twas the Week Before Christmas

On Thursday, I met with two of my friends. I saw Maiko in the afternoon and we went to Ohori park. I went there the week before, walking from another city and back home, it took about 40 minutes with the detour through the park, but it was so much fun! I love walking, I think maybe I could walk forever . . . I only had my phone then, so I'll upload pictures later. I'm lazy about doing that because it's more difficult to upload them from my phone. I also met Madoka that night and we ate at the same place with the ohm rice which I'd been craving!
Anyway here are some pictures I took last week, I met Yuka last night (Saturday night) after work and it was a lot of fun. It was just me, her and an old friend of hers along with her friend's two adorable little girls! They hardly spoke English (even the mother) so it was interesting, but not so awkward as the takoyaki party since it wasn't a lot of people. Yuka's mother made nabe along with lots of sweets! I really enjoyed it, but Yuka is too giving and her mother gave me a kimono . . .! She also had her friend drive me home, even though her friend had an hour and a half drive back to her city along with her 2 little girls, and it was midnight!! I felt really bad . . . but it was fun nonetheless. When I try on the kimono, I will take pictures, but I don't know how to put it on by myself so I'll have to wait for my friend Masayo to help me!
These pictures are from the Christmas party we had Friday night at work. It was fun, but mostly work because the native English teachers "hosted" it meaning we hardly had time to eat and constantly had to entertain the students while doing all of the events. It was very busy and hectic and we had to stay about 20 mins. past 9 just to clean up! I made miniature versions of my mom's egg rolls but since I had to cook them that morning (and I think they put them in the fridge) they were soggy and not good :(

I had to use sweet chili sauce since they didn't have sweet and sour sauce




Yes, they made me wear the stupid reindeer ears . . . because it was a headband and I was a girl





They played a game where they had to answer simple English questions and whichever team won, they got a present, I think.

Food! Most of which I didn't even get to try . . . I think I had a slice of pizza and a curry dish, which was amazing.

Present exchange, we passed presents around until the music stopped.



two of my students, the one on the left is a student and a co-worker, and the one on the right in the kimono made a speech that I helped her with :P  She's also taking me to see kabuki in February! (but that's a secret because my boss doesn't want us hanging out with students, so shhhhh)

Two of my students, the girl I teach at the Nishijin school. The one in red is the sister of my student who is wearing green.


My boss and a girl who will be going to the university of her dreams! She was able to pass the exam that only 20 students get into every year! I was so proud of her!!

Two of my students, mother and daughter :P



 Here's my student giving her speech!


One Japanese Christmas tradition that I want to start in America: Christmas cake!! And not the nasty fruit cake that Americans eat on Christmas!


Apparently they make a wish like on birthdays, but the American teachers didn't know that so we kind of looked around the room as everyone was silent for 5 seconds and had their eyes closed. . .



My favorite: chocolate with chocolate fudge!!

Me and Chiko! ^_^


Mother and daughter again

Me and one of my Saturday students. He was the only who came that comes on Saturdays (I'm the only teacher on Saturdays so he didn't know anyone else). he plays cello in an orchestra that I will see in January since my boss bought a bunch of tickets!

Chiko and Mrs. Tsurukawa

We got goodie bags from the party and I found this cute leftover in there! The American teachers just bought a bunch of desserts and this was one of them. For some reason, these little chicks with red or white bean inside are very popular. I think they're adorable and tasty!

Isn't he cute? And yummy! I couldn't eat the head first so I did the opposite . . . too cute!



No comments:

Post a Comment