Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sunday September 9th Update

Happy birthday to my uncle! A lot is new since I was last able to give an update. I was able to get my alien registration card, which is actually just my work visa, they had to put the address on the back of it which somehow took them about an hour and a half to do . . . and I also got my health insurance card in the mail! My internet should be coming on this coming Saturday and I was able to open a bank account this past Thursday. I got paid on Friday! :D So now I'm pretty much set, I just have to get a cell phone! I was supposed to meet a friend today to see a baseball game, but apparently her boyfriend, who's the translator for the team, isn't in town so we can't get free seats. I pre-ordered Domino's tonight as my birthday present to myself, it was about 25 bucks for the regular size . . . thankfully when you're a foreigner and it's your first time ordering pizza from them in Japan, they have a buy one get one free deal! So I should have enough to last me at least two days. I've been craving pizza too badly, so I'm very excited!

On Thursday, I met my friend Masayo before I went to the bank and we had Japanese-style spaghetti! I know, I'd never heard of it either, but it was delicious! It didn't have spaghetti sauce, so it was more like Japanese food with spaghetti noodles. It had fish roe, which was supposed to be spicy but wasn't at all, and shrimp along with seaweed and some other vegetable. I added hot sauce to it but it still wasn't hot at all. It was really good though! I meant to take a picture, but forgot . . . She let me try some of hers, since Japanese people are all about sharing, and hers had a familiar taste. It was like something my mom used to make: pork with a peanut sauce, only this time it was with spaghetti noodles! It was wonderful, and it was only about ten bucks for a ton of spaghetti as well as iced tea (which I add milk and gum syrup to so that it's like milk tea, my new favorite drink) and a bowl of clear soup. I thought that was pretty good, especially since I didn't have to tip the waitress and I was super full for the rest of the day! After that, I went to the bank and it took about 2 hours to set up my account, but I think it mostly took so long because they make the card right then and there rather than mailing it to you! I was lucky that my guy spoke English fluently so I didn't have to have a translator like my co-worker did.
Speaking of, I originally went on Wednesday with a co-worker to get our accounts set up, but the lady said it would take more than an hour and it was already 11am so I didn't want to be late for work. He was late though, and I think that set my boss off for the rest of the day because she was acting really weird. First, she said something in Japanese that I didn't know, but my other co-worker knows Japanese and said it was really rude so I have no idea what she said but kind of don't want to know . . . then that night I thought she misunderstood the other teacher (my co-worker) so I was trying to explain to her what he said, because sometimes she doesn't understand. This was a bad idea because I guess I offended her, so she acted frustrated, then picked up the calendar, looked at it, then tossed it in front of the other teacher, I'm guessing as a passive-aggressive way of showing her frustration. This calendar is like the large one that people put on their desks underneath the glass, not like a wall calendar, so it wasn't heavy or anything, it was just an odd gesture. My co-worker told her to please not throw that at him and that was the end of story. When I went back to work on Friday, she seemed perfectly normal, so I don't know. I guess I'll see, I just hope that it doesn't get worse . . .

I'm meeting Masayo on Thursday and hopefully getting a cell phone and maybe some stamps! I think we might be eating somewhere afterward, so hopefully I'll remember to take a picture this time! Now that I got paid, I hope to go with my friends to pick out a dress to wear at the wedding :D  I'm still so excited that I can go, I can't wait!!
It's been a long week, so I'm sure I forgot something, but if I did then I'll just talk about it in my next blog, hopefully on Thursday. Love you guys, and thanks for reading!

2 comments: