Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

Mon. Aug 5th - Wed Aug. 8th

Monday and Tuesday were easier because I was still in training. On Tuesday, I had to travel to a school, which was a little bit of a disaster because my first class had a bunch of 3 year olds and the other class had 2 year olds! The last 2 classes were older so it went a little better. I didn't have much time to prepare when we got there because it was pretty far away, and we had to split the room in two since our boss was gracious enough to not give us 18 three year olds at once! We each had 9 so it was a relief, but it was difficult wheeling these giant shelves to the middle of the room since there was no divider. Also, we could hear each other easily which was distracting for the kids, especially when we had to play the "hello song" which is always played for the 3 year olds. They all just stared at me not understanding a word I was saying, but thankfully Marc was still training me, so he helped me out a lot in trying to get them to cooperate. They kept looking at him wondering why I was standing up front! They are really used to a man's voice and haven't had another teacher for English besides Marc, so they were totally confused. It was quite a disaster, but I learned that I need to keep them moving in order for them to pay any attention to me. The very last class was a relief because they were older and they helped bring up the tables and chairs at the end, which was very nice since it's very time consuming trying to take them down myself.

On Wednesday,  I didn't have to travel to any schools, so it was an easier day, especially since it was my first day on my own! I was able to stay in the office and just proofread things and teach every now and then. The other two teachers were away at schools so I had lots of space to work on! I just hope that one of the other teachers doesn't quit, because it would be complete chaos . . .

2 comments:

  1. Teaching gets a little easier after you do it for a while. Mistakes and the feeling of failure are inevitable, but you will learn from them. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Teaching students who don't speak none to little English has definitely been a challenge. Even though some students in the U.S. can be really bad, at least they know what I'm saying! :P

      Delete