Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday Aug 13th and recap

It was a lazy day, it was very rainy outside so I stayed inside and cleaned my entire house! The only thing I didn't do was wipe down the windows :P
Here's my balcony view on a rainy day:


There was a lovely dead Cicada that greeted me as well:






I made chicken teriyaki and told myself to take a picture of it, but forgot . . . it was good but not as tender as I wanted it to be, I think it was because I overcooked it just a little too much since I'm paranoid about raw meat. It was still really good though and reminded me of old times. I was able to talk to my godmother for 2 hours via Skype, but other than that I didn't do anything interesting, so I will recap on last week!

Friday Aug. 10th

I was so glad that Ms. Maeda printed out a google map to how to get to the school, because I had to go and return on my own by subway! I had a difficult time even figuring out how to get out of the subway, so that was fun . . . I took my lunch break right before I left, so I went straight there and took the long way around so I wouldn't get lost. I got there in enough time to set up everything and play catch with the one kid who got there really early. The kids at Nishijin are very intelligent, and in my second class, I had a kid come in ready to speak English! He greeted me with "hello" and started talking to me with the little English that he knew, then we played catch. For every kid that came in, I could hear him telling them in Japanese that I was their new teacher and that they needed to tell me their name. It was really cute and I think they had a lot of fun! I tried to follow the lessons exactly as I'd seen, and I'm so glad that I videotaped them otherwise I would've been lost!
On the subway back home, I sat across from an older lady. Suddenly, she started brushing at her shirt, so I looked at her and saw a bright green walking-stick bug fly out. She acted like nothing had happened and looked at me wondering why I was acting so surprised :P  I wonder what they do when they get scared and they're in public, I've never seen them react . . .
I got back to the office at 7 and was so thankful that my 7 o'clock student had cancelled because I would've been late! I hope that in the future she schedules that student with someone else . . . it was difficult having enough time to clean the room by myself, walking to the station, waiting for the train, then walking through the crowded subway to get back to the office! Needless to say I was very tired, so I didn't have as much energy for my last student that I had that day. I really wish they had Red Bull here! >.<

Thursday Aug. 11th

I'm off on Thursdays, so I was able to get some grocery shopping done but most importantly I was able to go to the airport to apply for my work visa! I made the mistake of wearing heels there since my blisters were pretty much gone, but that was a bad idea .  . . I didn't realize how far Terminal 3 was from the subway station, so I ended up getting another blister in a different area. I got a good workout wearing those heels, though! When I got to the immigration office, I was looking for a number since I was told to get a ticket and wait for them to call my number. There was nowhere to get a ticket, so while I stood helplessly looking around the room, one of the people from the information booth came around and spoke to me in perfect English asking me what I needed. He helped me get everything together and even got me a ticket number. I was the next up since apparently no one else was applying for a work visa, so it was very quick. The lady unfortunately didn't speak English, but she could write it, so she wrote all of her questions down. At first, I was worried because she asked me for a certification of working in America and I told her that we don't have those in America. After she flipped through a book for a few minutes, I guess it was ok because she handed me a slip of paper. She almost forgot to photocopy my passport so I was glad that I handed it to her! Now I'm just waiting for it to come in the mail, I can't wait! Once I get it, I can get a phone, apply for my alien registration card, and start a bank account here.




No comments:

Post a Comment